Saturday 12 July 2008

Summer in England?

Hello! This picture of the back garden of Windmill was taken a couple of days ago when all we had was rain, rain, rain! Today the sun is peeking out of the clouds and wants to come out and grace us with its presence! It's 55 degrees now and promising that the high will be 63. As I check the weather in Richmond, Virginia - I see that it is going to be 93! Ok, for the most part...I really do like the milder temperatures here in England - but I do get tired of the wet and damp. I have to say, though, when the sun is shining it is glorious!


As of yesterday, we had 56 guys in our Birmingham centre and 13 women. It's a good number for this time of year. Usually it is the cold that forces people to ring for help and we have fewer calls in the warmer weather. We continue to pray that people call for interviews, show up and stay for help. There is hope for freedom from addictions!


Dave and I are doing well. Dave is busy with work as it is the busiest time of year for our gardening service. He works with the gardening teams on Mondays and then does quotes for possible jobs on Tuesdays - Saturdays. His quotes and gardening jobs are booked for a few weeks in advance and we pray for that to continue. Gardening is one of the best sources of income for Betel. But everyone is working hard - from posting the flyers to promote our businesses, running the four charity furniture shops in Birmingham, an antique warehouse and eBay business, re-upholstering furniture and restoring it in the shed here at Windmill! Please do continue to pray for God's provision for rents and the bills that Betel has to pay.


I've started working on applying for my indefinite leave to remain visa. When Dave & I were married I was granted a two-year visa to remain in England. Now I apply for a "residence" visa to stay here indefinately. I successfully completed a Life in the UK test (24 questions about aspects of English living: culture, history, religion, government, etc.) and now I need to gather documentation that shows we are married and living in the same residence. My current visa expires in September. I'd appreciate your prayers for the process and also the funds. It is an expensive document! It will cost £750 (or approximately $1,500)! I know God is faithful and he has called me here so he will provide.


Please let us know how you are doing! We love your comments, emails and letters!



Love,


Beth

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Beth and Dave - So good to read your blog and hear how you are. We are currently in Glacier National Park where it's sunny, about 75 during the day and 50's at night. It's beautiful! Thanks for keeping us updated! Love you!

Diana said...

Hello to the Birminghams' in Birmingham! Communication is key, isn't it? And yet, I find it so hard to keep up with. Thanks for blogging and letting us know how you're doing and what we can pray for. Merv Boll and John Eiker got an update from Kent and Mary Alice and gave us a snapshot as well. I love you guys and we'll be praying for your funds and the paperwork! Love ya!